Blackwork Embroidery update

Well, I’ve found my scissors, so I’ve been able to actually do some embroidery.  I’ve been working away at this project for the past week now.  I’ll be the first to say that I’m not the fastest in the world at doing this stuff.  But it’s not a bad pace for me, considering I have a tendency to stop and pay attention to other things throughout while working, or just walking away when I need to take a break.

So, the first thing I did was to work on this little scrolling leaf boarder.  It’s about 2 3/4 inches in length, so it’s not a huge boarder piece.  But it’s very easily repeated if a longer length is desired.  I’m very pleased with the overall size of this corner piece as it is, and felt it worked just right for the project.

P1010051

I was originally hoping to find different corner pieces, but I ended up with only this one piece.  So, I decided to just run with it, and place one in each corner.  It should help give it an overall unifying effect as I work on the rest of the piece.  It also helps really define the edges I have to work within.  This ended up taking me two or three days to work on.

P1010052

I mentioned previously about the large knotwork pattern that was going to be placed in the center, because of how large it is.  Well, here’s the knot.  I had just finished the outline of the knotwork here, taking me about two days to complete it.  Rather plain, I think, at this point.  Not much to really attract the attention to it, other than that it’s a huge piece in the midst of a vast expanse of nothingness.

P1010055

And, just to get a better idea of what I was working with, here’s the knot itself.

P1010053

And after another three or four days of work, I finished the fill work on the knotwork.  Now, this looks much better.  It has depth and dimension, and actually looks like the bars really do pas over and under each other.  The hardest part at this point was just figuring out how to run the design so it went smoothly with as few hitches as possible.  It took a few attempts with the short bars, but I finally figured out, and pretty much zoomed through the rest of it.  But it’s a lot of detail work in those bars, and it was very fiddly detail work.  After getting three to four bars finished, I’d find myself needing to quit for the day.

P1010060

Well, that’s it for now.  I have more embroidery to work on for the next update.  I’m pretty excited now, and can’t wait to see the field begins to fill up with my patterns.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s